Celebrating the 2019 NBA All-Star game, the Black Sheep x Nike SB Dunk High Black Hornet was made in collaboration with the Charlotte-based skate shop Black Sheep. The early 90’s color-way pays homage iconic colors of Charlotte basketball.
“Although NBA All-Star Weekend in Charlotte is a celebration of basketball, that doesn’t mean skateboarding can’t join the festivities as well. Charlotte’s Black Sheep Skate Shop is a long-time Nike SB partner, and they’ve readied a special “Black Hornet” SB Dunk High to serve as part of the All-Star Weekend release slate, complete with some very special “Hornet’s Nest” packaging. Drawing from Charlotte’s rebellious heritage — and providing an entirely literal take on the Charlotte Hornets — their city-centric Dunk High features shimmering iridescent detailing, overlaid with a classic elephant print.” – SneakerNews.com
How to Score a Pair
Retailing for $110, look for the Black Sheep x Nike SB Dunk High Black Hornet at Island Water Sports. We were lucky to get just 6 pairs of these limited edition shoes in sizes 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, 12. These highly-sought after Nikes will be available in store ONLY!
Want a pair? We will be handing out raffle tickets from 8am-9am this Friday morning, February 22nd. Promptly 9:05 am, Island Water Sports will draw six tickets. Those six people will be able to choose their size according to the order their ticket is called. Due to this limited release, there will be no returns or discounts. Coupons can not be applied.
Black Sheep Collab
“We were thrilled when we found out that the NBA All-Star Game was coming to Charlotte. With a launch during All-Star Weekend it only seemed right to push the envelope on materials and have some fun with the design.” said Josh Frazier, owner of Black Sheep. Frazier continued, “I grew up skating in the original AJ-1’s, so we wanted to create something that took design cues from classic sneakers as well as inspiration from our hometown and local scene. Teal and Black are trademark Nike SB colors while Teal and Purple have a lot of nostalgia and a special significance in our local community. I love that the color is dynamic and changes from every angle – it can look colorful and flashy in direct light, yet toned down and dark on foot or in low light.”
Black Sheep x Nike Features
The “Black Hornet” Dunk High features:
- An iridescent leather upper which shifts from teal/purple/black in the light depending on angle of view – paying homage to the iconic colors popularized by the Charlotte Hornets during the early 90’s.
- Elephant print panels take inspiration from the texture of the hornet’s nest hive and classic SB releases of the past giving a nod to Michael Jordan, basketball legend and owner of the Hornets franchise.
- The shoes sport a smooth black leather swoosh that is highlighted with contrasting silver embroidery in the shape of a stinger, one of many unique details that connect to the city’s roots and inspiration for the shoe.
- The tongue is constructed using a tonal, black on black nylon mesh and features a hex “hive” pattern.
- The underside of the ear flaps reveal a “hornet wing” print while the custom metal honeycomb shaped eyelets provide additional detail.
- The sock liners feature the official NBA logo and a “hornet’s nest” graphic.