Memorial Day. Picnics. BBQs. The beginning of summer. But Memorial Day is so much more. Established in the mid-1800s, Memorial Day gives us a time to honor and remember the men and women who have served in the armed forces of the United States of America and lost their lives defending our freedom.
So, how can you enjoy this memorial weekend with family and friends? We have put together a Memorial Day weekend guide packed with fun and some ways to honor the traditional meaning.
FRIDAY, May 26th
- Break Out The Red, White and Blue, Island Water Sports, 1985 NE 2nd Avenue, Deerfield Beach; For many, many years it has been a tradition to decorate the graves of fallen soldiers with flags on Memorial Day. So why not bring that tradition home and decorate your house and lawn with the stars and stripes! Or, better yet, break out that American pride and decorate your body with these great items in-store at Island Water Sports!
SATURDAY, May 27th
- Learn to Surf. Island Water Sports, 1985 NE 2nd Avenue, Deerfield Beach; 7am. Every Saturday (Weather Permitting). Island Water Sports offers FREE Surf & SUP Lessons for all ages every Saturday. To sign up simply visit IslandCamps.com and register.
- Board Swap. Island Water Sports, 1985 NE 2nd Avenue, Deerfield Beach; 9am to 9pm. Join us at Island Water Sports for our annual Board Swap and Sample Sale. Grab incredible deals on used boards and action sports equipment or bring in your own items to sell yourself. Catch insane deals from over 15 of the top Surf & Skate companies at one of our biggest sample sales. And, score big with our Board Swap raffle to benefit the Kiwanis Club and help provide scholarships for local youth to go to skate and surf camp. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
SUNDAY, May 28th
- Indie Craft Bazaar. 100 SW Third Ave., Fort Lauderdale; noon-5 p.m. More than 65 vendors will set up shop in Revolution Live, America’s Backyard and Stache in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Admission is $5.
MONDAY, May 29th
- Boca Raton Memorial Day Ceremony. International Fishing Pier, 200 NE 21st Ave, Deerfield Beach, 11:00 AM. The City of Deerfield Beach and the American Legion will host a Memorial Day Ceremony. The ceremony will take place at the “T” of the fishing pier. The Ceremony will honor and salute the brave men and women of the United Stated armed forces, particularly those who gave their lives in service to preserve our freedom. Those attending the ceremony are asked to park in the Main Beach Parking Lot, 149 SE 21st Ave. There will be reserved seating for veterans. City Hall and other city facilities will be closed in honor of the holiday.
- Butler House Memorial Day Event. Butler House, 380 East Hillsboro Blvd, Deerfield Beach, Noon-2PM. The 4th annual event with the Deerfield Beach Historical Society to honor our military personnel who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country. Formal ceremonies will begin at noon in the backyard of the Historic Butler House under the shade of the age-old banyan tree, followed with a concert by The Hot Java Band.
- Memorial Day Commemorative Ceremony. Boca Raton Cemetery, 449 SW Fourth Avenue, Boca Raton, 9 am. Honor veterans and the sacrifices they made for the country at a free event featuring veterans groups, city officials, music by Fort Lauderdale Highlands and Boca Raton High School Band, and drills by Boca Raton High School NJROTC and the Boca Raton Police & Fire Honor Guard.
- Free Memorial Day Concert. Mizner Park Amphitheater, 590 Plaza Real, Boca Raton 7 pm. Bring blankets or lawn chairs to hear patriotic music.
- National Moment of Remembrance. The National Moment of Remembrance, established by Congress, asks Americans wherever they are at 3 p.m., local time, on Memorial Day to pause in an act of national unity for one minute.The time 3 p.m. was chosen because it is the time when most Americans are enjoying their freedoms on the national holiday.
TUESDAY, May 30th
- Deerfield Beach Cleanup. Island Water Sports, 1985 NE 2nd Avenue, Deerfield Beach; 5:30pm to 7pm. Our beautiful Florida beaches always become trashed after a holiday. You can help keep our beaches beautiful by joining Island Water Sports and giving a helping hand to make our beaches trash-free and help the ecosystem!We will meet at the front on Island Water Sports. Plastic bags, gloves, hand sanitzer, and water bottles will be provided. Feel free to bring your own in efforts to reduce any waste, though! Prizes will be given to whoever collects the most trash!
Spread the word and invite friends!
- Thank A Veteran. While Memorial Day is a time for remembering and honoring our fallen soldiers, we should always thank those soldiers past and present who serve our country day in and day out! Consider writing a letter to a veteran or soldier. Check out OperationGratitude.com for more information about writing letters or sending care packages to soldiers currently deployed.