We love our moms! Mother’s Day is just a few days away. Honor your mom this weekend with these great last-minute ideas from Island Water Sports.
1. Adopt a Sea Turtle this Mother’s Day
Who doesn’t LOVE our amazing local Sea Turtles? Adopt a resident sea turtle from Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in your mother’s name. You will be directly helping to support the care, life support system, medical & veterinary needs, and feeding of our resident turtles and rehabilitation patients. In addition, your participation in this program allows Gumbo Limbo to continue on-going conservation programs and research efforts on Boca Raton’s sea turtle nesting beaches to ensure these endangered reptiles continue to thrive in our oceans.
- An adoption certificate for the turtle of your choice.
- A letter from the adopted sea turtle telling their story.
- A photo of the sea turtle you adopted.
- High quality informational guide on sea turtle conservation, preservation, and research.
- Receipt of donation (for tax purposes).
- Unique magnetic decal to show your support for Gumbo Limbo
- Small turtle plush toy to represent your adoption of an endangered sea turtle.
2. Adopt a Manatee for Mom
Funds from the Club’s Adopt-A-Manatee program go toward efforts to help protect manatees and their habitat. The manatees in this adoption programs are real, living manatees with known histories. You will be making a difference in your mom’s name!
Your mom will get:
- An adoption certificate with full-color photo, and biography of a real endangered Florida manatee.
- A membership handbook.<
- The Manatee Zone, official Club newsletter. featuring updates on the adopted manatees.
- Paddle Tales, our e-newsletter (when an email address is provided).
3. Show Mom your love by planting a forest
Plant a tree (or trees) in a national forest. The NFF will plant a tree for every $1 you give to our tree-planting programs, helping restore National Forests damaged by wildfire, insects, disease and other impacts.
4. Give Mom a break
Why not relieve Mom of some mundane chores so she can take a well-deserved break? For those mom that value experiences over stuff… a few hours on a paddle board or surfboard can relax and refresh her. And, it’s a great way to have fun and exercise together. Paddle board rentals are available all day at Island Water Sports! Or grab a gift certificate to plan an SUP outing in the future or to join our next Full Moon Paddle.
5. Keep your mother hydrated
Staying hydrated is one of the major pillars of good health, and giving your mom the gift of hydration is great, but stylish hydration is even better! Grab a cute Corkcicle to keep her drinks cold for 24+ hours and warm for 12+ hours. They come in a wide variety of colors and styles. Available now in Island Water Sports
6. Write her a letter
Unplug from the quick digital messages and write your mom a handwritten letter. Take a minute to express what she means to you. Not only is a handwritten letter a rare thing these days, it’s also a keepsake she can save forever.
7. Make it yourself
Anything made by your loving hands is a sure way to please and honor Mom.
8. Ask Mom for her to-do list (and take something big off it)
Why guess, when you can give Mom exactly what she wants. Like many of us, Mom has things that she really wants done and keeps putting off. Take a weight off her shoulders and just do it.
9. Give her a family photo
Every mom loves to show off her family. Find a local photographer or grab a friend a camera. Capture a well deserved shot of all those she loves.
10. Reconnect your mother with an old friend
I’m sure Mom has told you stories of her younger self and the fun shenanigans with her friends! Help her reconnect and find long-lost friends through Google or social networks like Facebook.
11. Let her sleep past 7am
If a mom has young kids, this can be a HUGE gift. Perhaps we could just move the usual morning routine of hugs, kisses and jumping on mom’s head forward an hour or two?
12. Make it a special Sunday
If your Mom is no longer living, you can still honor her. Visit one of her favorite places, write down her favorite sayings, bake one of her favorite recipes or take a few hours to look through memoirs and photos of her.