Surfrider Foundation: Thanks to You, 34 Victories for Our Coasts
For those of us who love our coasts, the past nine months have been a turbulent time. While our nation’s highest leaders wage unprecedented attacks on our ocean, waves and beaches, the Surfrider Foundation continues to do what it does best – fight for important coastal conservation wins at local and state levels, demonstrating that the best defense is sometimes a good offense!
Surfrider’s network is more critical than ever.
There are numerous threats to clean water and healthy beaches, including polluted runoff, offshore oil drilling, habitat loss, development, climate change, plastic in the ocean and trash on the shore. That is exactly why Surfrider’s network of chapters are currently working on 112 active campaigns to address those threats.
Thanks to you and members like you, Surfrider has already secured 34 campaign victories in eight different states! This work is a testament to the power of grassroots activism and the dedication and passion of Surfrider’s chapter network.
Some of Surfrider Foundation’s notable wins in 2017 so far include:
- Protecting Maine’s Bottle Bill from bad legislation that would have resulted in less recycling and more pollution in our waterways and dumps.
- Contributing to the state adoption of an Oregon Marine Debris Action Plan that defines actions to address plastic pollution and leverages partnerships with groups including the Surfrider Foundation.
- Enhancing low-income beach access opportunities in Crystal Cove State Beach through advocacy at the California Coastal Commission meetings.
- Passing the first plastic bag ban policy in the state of Florida, in the City of Coral Gables.
- Protecting beach preservation standards through support of a California Supreme Court decision to uphold permit conditions for a seawall in Encinitas.
- These victories would not have been possible without the hard work and dedication of our incredible network of volunteers, supporters, members and partners who stand up day in and day out to help protect our ocean and coasts.
All of us at Surfrider are grateful to have you stand with us.
Long Live Clean Water and Healthy Beaches
Learn more at Surfrider.org
Get involved locally with Surfrider:
This past weekend, Palm Beach Atlantic University’s Surf & Skate club joined hands with Surfrider’s Palm Beach Chapter to take part in the International Coastal Cleanup Day. Join us in monthly cleanups and fun activities for college students and those of all ages.