The rebirth of the South Florida classic: The Van, Surf and Skate Expo!
From 1977 to 1982, the former West Palm Beach Auditorium brought a trade show for all your favorite things in Van-life, Surfing and skateboarding.
Years ago I remember picking up Concrete Wave magazine and seeing this amazing clear cradle being skated in South Florida. The 70s included the opening of South Florida parks like Skateboard USA, Solid Surf, and Skateboard City. It was a time of surf clubs, innovation in skatepark design, and the birth of a culture that would shape South Florida. And, the Van Surf and Skate Expo was at the center of this 70s scene.
Often I have thought about that image above as I dreamt of reviving the stoke of that decade. This dream even spurred my drive to get the City of Deerfield beach to consider a public skatepark.
This weekend you can join in on the rebirth of this culture at the South Florida Classic Van, Surf & Skate Expo. Head to West Palm March 22-24, 2019 at the Florida Surfing Museum, 1400 Elizabeth Avenue. (Located in the Warehouse District)
What to Expect
Come be a part of this 3 -day action surf, skate and music festival. Join seminars from top leaders in the surf and skate community. Watch live surfboard shaping demos. Enter a skate contest on the Instaramp for a chance to win $500. Listen to some great music. Create-your-own custom skateboard deck. Or, hop into a classic van and dream about your next road trip.
- Shaping Demos by Mike Karol of Stoke Surfboards (Friday), Brett Prinz of Crowd Control Surfboards (Saturday), and Ryan Heavyside from Nomad (Sunday).
- Live music will be provided by Space Coast Ghosts and Spred the Dub (Friday), Rogue Theory (Saturday), and Completely Unchained (Sunday).
- Skate the Instaramp and street course or watch he Big Air contest on Saturday night and Best Trick event on Sunday.
- Meet Lake Worth’s own two-time X Games gold medal winner and newly announced USA team rider, Alex Sorgente.
- Hang at the Grind for Life booth or design you own custom skateboard deck on Sunday at the Surf Skate Science Create-A-Skate booth.
- Check out the Schumacher VW of the Palm Beaches , Evolution of VW Surfbus .
- Learn how surf forecasts are made at the Channel 5 booth with meteorologist James Weiland.
- Join the discussion “A Second Date With Sandy,” with professional surfer Peter Mendia, surf photographer Nick Lugo, and others. This forum will retrace the beauty and business of capturing epic surf.
- Need some spiritual nourishment? Join us for church at the Van, Surf and Skate Expo on Sunday morning.
- Shop vendor booths from surf and skate inspired companies, enjoy local micro-brew, or grab food from some of Elizabeth Ave Station’s Favorites.
The Van, Surf and Skate Expo
WHERE: 1400 Elizabeth Ave., West Palm Beach
WHEN: 4 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. Sunday
COST: $25 one day /$35 weekend / $15 kids