World Oceans Day is a global day of ocean celebration and collaboration for a better future. This year, World Oceans Day, seeks to encourage solutions to the continued global impact of plastic pollution. Together, we can start making a difference to reduce marine litter and create healthier oceans and a better future for generations to come. Join the Better Bag Challenge here and commit to using reusable bags for the next year.
Why celebrate World Oceans Day?
A healthy world ocean is critical to our survival. Every year, World Oceans Day provides a unique opportunity to honor, help protect, and conserve the world’s oceans.
Oceans are very important. Why?
- They generate most of the oxygen we breathe
- Oceans help feed us
- They regulate our climate
- Oceans help clean the water we drink
- They offer a pharmacopoeia of medicines
- They provide limitless inspiration!
Now each of us can give back
It’s up to each one of us to help ensure that our ocean is healthy for future generations.
World Oceans Day allows us to:
- Change perspective – Encourage those you know to think about what the ocean means to them. How can we conserve it for present and the future generations?
- Learn – Discover the wealth of diverse and beautiful ocean creatures and habitats. Go for a snorkel at your local beach. Research how our daily actions affect the ocean and how we are all interconnected.
- Change our ways – We are all linked to, and through, the ocean! By taking care of your backyard and helping in your community, you are acting as a caretaker of our ocean. Making small modifications to your everyday habits will make a difference, and involving your family, friends, and community will benefit our blue planet even more!
- Celebrate – Whether you live inland or on the coast, we are all connected to the ocean. Take the time to think about how the ocean affects you. How you affect the ocean? Organize or participate in activities that celebrate our ocean.
Get Involved Locally
Despite the huge challenges facing the world’s ocean, by working together we can support a healthy ocean. Did you know that our Oceans sustainably provide for the billions of humans, plants, and animals every day? On World Oceans Day, people around our blue planet celebrate and honor the ocean, which connects us all. Get together with your family, friends, community, and the planet to start creating a better future. Working together, we can and will protect our shared ocean. We hope you will be a part of this growing global celebration!
Locally, stop by Gumbo Limbo for a these events:
Thursday, June 8 at 3:00 PM – Beach Treasures program will meet at the Gumbo Limbo to learn about shells and sea life; caravan to Red Reef Beach Park for beach combing with the experts!
Saturday, June 10 from 9:00 AM-3:00 PM – Venture into the mangroves behind Gumbo Limbo (sturdy closed-toe shoes required) or drive over to the beach for an hour (no fee for parking) and bring us back as much trash as you can find in one hour! The winner will get a special clean-up package with reusable water bottles, gloves, grabbers and sunscreen, so you can continue to make a difference!
Saturday, June 10 at 3:00 PM – Seining the Lagoon – Wading in the Intracoastal Waterway just behind Gumbo Limbo, we catch (and release) fish, shrimp, crabs, and more! With hand-held dip nets and large seine nets, get up close and personal with local our marine life. Ages 10-adult; children under 18 must sign-up and participate with an adult. Cost per person: Member $7 Non-member $10